Firstly one has to make a decision where one goes with these type of refurbish projects: -
Are you going to “fully restore”? Are you going to modernise? Or are you going to fix it for your own use.... Kinda, that’s the three options one has.
With this project, unfortunately, the two top doors, have been damaged, (the panelite has been damaged), and the chances of me getting matching doors / pattern are slim to none, so restoring to original is pretty much out of the question.
Also, with a “fully restore” objective, one has to de-construct and re-build from scratch, fixing all the things along the way..
So taking into consideration that
(1) My skills are not that great and
(2) the damage to the doors, “fully restoring” would be just about imposable,
(3) Judging by the way it was constructed, It's not an upmarket piece, So, again, why go to all the effort of "fully restore" ? to I’m going the option of just refurbishing it for my own use..
Having made THAT decision, I’ve tackled it and I’ve finished scrubbing the unit out... Gosh was it in a toestand! Sugar-soap and Scotch-brite was all that seemed to work....
SURPRISE! We can’t get Vim! None to be had! Anywhere... Checkers / P&P / the Greek corner shop.... NOTHING!! Wonder what’s going on there??
Another big problem was that the bottom floor panel was “bulged” (I got it like that) probably the unit got wet and was not attended to.....
So I had a look and it seemed to be the masonite bottom, so I took a deep breath and cut it out with an angle grinder, and using hammer and chisel, took the whole masonite bottom out.
Underneath are pine planks and one short plank was thick at one end, so I used a flappy-disc on the grinder and blended it to the rest, then filled with wood filler.
So that was a win.
Then the two top damaged doors I’ve filled the holes with fibreglass, and I’ll sand that down flush with the surface, The idea is to paint and decorate them nicely using a strip of stick-on vinal that’s got a nice pattern.
But the jury is still out on the two top doors, here are my options: -
(1) Leave them off completely,
(2) Fix the damage, paint just the 2 doors and leave the others as is,
(3) Paint all the doors to match.
what would you chaps do?
I’ve kind of figured the history of the cupboard, basing it on candle burn marks under the upper lip...
It comes from JHB South, as I got it at the rubbish dump there, so I think it was originally in the kitchen of one of the older Semi-detached houses, then it got moved to the servant’s quarters and left the for a long time, (that’s where it got the damage & candle burns) Then I assume the servant’s quarters was upgraded and the unit chucked out.
Prepped for fiberglassing
The short plank that was thick on the R side causing bulging of the masonite bottom (which was waterlogged anyway)
FINALLY WASHED & PREPPED FOR PAINTING
The bottom door: - The hinge on one side pulled out of the frame, so I'll drill the screw holes out, glue a piece of dowel into the drilled out hole then re-drill for the screw holes.
The blue open door: - The hinges are loose on the door side, which is the panelite, and I can't fix that, so I'm planning on using pop-rivitts on all the hinges to keep it looking all the same. If the rivit fouls the frame, I might have to peen the rivit flat on the inside I'll see.....
The 4 panes of glass for the centre: - there are 2 for the top and 2 for the middle. Gottem, but I don't need anything, they slide lekker, so that's that.
Handles: - only got 3 original handles, so I'm going to make handles from pieces of 50 - 70 gumpole, cut to about 100mm long & screw them on from the inside, I'm not keen on fancy type handles and the gumpole ones will carry through the "theme" I'm following on refurbishing my whole cottage.